Positive Video Games

Positive Video Games

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Where's My Water

Amazon released Where's My Water in November of 2011 (about 2 months after it actually was released by Disney in September of 2011 -- Amazon's consistent slow release schedule of Android apps has been a long-time frustration for me, seeing as my only tablet is a Kindle Fire, and I refuse to hack it or "side load" anything on to it), but I didn't pick it up until the end of February, 2012. I had no idea what it was! It looked like some sort of kid's education game to me. But, I saw it persistently stick in the top 10, then top 5, and then the #1 on the paid apps list for months, and it finally got to the point that I had to click on it and check it out, and see why this supposed kid's game was so popular.


Of course, when I looked at game play videos and screen shots, I realized right away that my perception had been wrong. Of course, the bright side of that was that they had already released more levels for the game by then, so by the time I started, I already had more to enjoy. Disney has, since the original launch of the game, expanded it with Cranky's Story and Allie's Story -- which feature the other 2 main characters from the trio in the cut-scenes, each with their own game play features and unique level designs.


Disney has also launched a spin-off game called Where's My Perry, (that uses the same basic concepts but with a sci-fi twist) which I also play
and which I will review at a later date :)


So, if you haven't played Where's My Water yet, I heartily recommend you play it. It is a good pick up and go game that you can play for a couple of minutes, or for hours. It has satisfying puzzles that combine realistic physics with fun environments that you can mostly shape the way you want. The puzzles frequently have more than one way to solve them. Some of the puzzles will be quick ones to solve, others will take you hours to labor away at to figure out how to solve, and earn all the duckie rewards for the level (which they call tri-ducking).

I have also enjoyed the expansions for Cranky and Allie quite a lot, and I am happy they kept updating the game as long as they did. They've moved on to a numbered sequel now, using a freemium model (which I hate), which I haven't played yet, but I will talk about it here if after I play it I had a positive experience. Play it, I think you'll like it :)


No comments:

Post a Comment